Saturday, October 1, 2022

Short Story: I Do

This is a short story that draws from my personal experiences. While it is very loosely based on my wedding I did take liberties. Enjoy the story behind the cut...


I Do

"Do you, Lily, take Ewan to be your husband? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect him, forsaking all others and holding only unto him?" 

Oh boy, I think, the moment of truth. No backing out now. 

The sun shines brightly through the tree branches, dappling the wedding party. The breeze is warm and carries the pungent tang of freshly cut grass. I look at Ewan, resplendent in his tweed kilt and butter yellow button-down. His sporran causes an inward smile. I have no idea why he loves it or what the designer was thinking when they decided to accessorize it with mirrored plastic and horsehair.  I suddenly feel an irrational need to giggle.

Instead I reply, "I do.”

Do I? I think, do I really? There’s no going back. Am I making the right decision?

A smile spreads across Ewan’s face. I realize he’s as nervous as I am and that he was worried I wouldn’t reply correctly. His fingers fiddle with my engagement ring. I look at it and marvel at the solitaire’s deep blue hue. Leave it to him to pick an unconventional engagement ring, choosing a sapphire instead of a diamond. He knows me so well.

“Repeat after me…” the judge says and I hear myself repeating her words.

"I, Lily, take you, Ewan, to be my husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish as long as we both shall live."

I feel a small arm circle my waist. I look down and see our son smiling at me. His brown hair shining in the sunlight, his blue eyes twinkling. He’s so cute in his Deathwatch kilt, blue polo, and leather sporran. He was so excited to wear the kilt because it was the first time he’d ever worn one and he’d always wanted to dress just like daddy. I can smell the fruit gummies he’s hidden in his sporran. I raise an eyebrow at him and he flashes a mischievous smile full of half-chewed treats at me. 

“Do you have his ring?” the judge asks. 

“Yes” I reply as I show it to her. The sun glints off the simple platinum ring. Its simplicity mirrors my soon-to-be-husband’s outlook on life. A simplicity that is one of the many reasons I love him. I reach out and take Ewan’s hand in mine, his darker coloring standing out against my paleness. I slip the ring on his finger as I repeat after her, “With this ring I thee wed. I pledge to you my love, now and forever.”

Is this what I really want? I ask myself.

I look up. Ewan is smiling from ear to ear. His warm, brown eyes are damp with tears. I smile back. Tears fill my eyes. 

Yes, I think. This is exactly what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment