Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sony Hacked

I'm sitting here trying to work on my Game Design and Development assignments but I can't concentrate. I'm so freaking irritated with the whole Sony fiasco that it's taking over every other thought process in my head. Pretty soon it's probably going to liquify my brain allowing it to leak out onto my shoulder.


Why am I so irritated? I just spent the past 3+ hours changing every password to every site I visit online. Yes, I have PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment accounts. I'm pretty sure my personal info has been stolen. I'm rather unhappy about the situation.  Hopefully nothing else will happen. The hacker (or whomever finally ends up with my info) will deem it too boring to do anything with and that will be that. Still, I don't want to tempt fate by not changing my passwords. Kudos to those sites that have enhanced security and verification processes, especially Steam and NCSoft. They made me feel secure in knowing that my password could not easily be changed without multiple challenges and hoops to jump through. If only Sony had taken such care with my information.

Honestly, how does this happen to a company like Sony? They are a leading technological company, after all. They should know what they're doing. Perhaps that's the answer, though. They've grown so confident in their own abilities that they feel they're safe from such occurrences? Well, surprise!

I think Sony should hire whom ever it was that hacked into their databases and stole everyone's information. That way we can be secure in the knowledge that someone who knows all the tricks, holes, and back doors will be in charge of protecting our most sensitive data. Then again, considering the fallout from this event, I'm not sure Sony's going to have many customers left who will be willing to give any kind of information to them let alone personal information that would need protection.

PlayStation Network Accounts Compromised: Personal Information Stolen - Gamasutra Article
Class Action Lawsuit Brought Against Sony Over PSN Data Breach - Gamasutra Article
Sony's Hack Response: Some Answers; Some Questions Remain - Wall Street Journal Blog
Second Sony Video Game Service is Hacked - Wall Street Journal Article

No comments:

Post a Comment