Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Short Story: Invisible Beasties (A Branching Dialogue)

This is a branching dialogue I wrote as an assignment for my Full Sail University Storytelling class. I'm sharing it here because I'd love to write for games and being able to write branching dialogue is an important part of that. As usual it's a snippet of a larger story that has yet to be completely written.


Invisible Beasties

Oscar has been traveling through the countryside for weeks. He’s been avoiding paved roads and anything that shows signs of inhabitation. He’s been living off the land but, as the seasons are changing and it is getting cold, he needs to find a place to winter. He’s been watching a cabin for about a week and has finally decided that it’s abandoned. As he looks through his newly chosen winter haven, he finds the pantry. When he opens the pantry door he finds that the cabin is inhabited. A child of about 10 years old has been hiding there. This is where the branching dialogue begins:

  1. Oscar: Hooo-wee! You scared the bejeebus out of me! I thought the place was empty. Who are you? (2)
  2. Isaac: Who am I? I’m Isaac. I live here. Who are you? What are you doing here? (3)
  3. Oscar:
    1. The name’s Oscar. Simply passing through. I’ll be on my way. (Dialogue Ends - Neutral)
    2. The name’s Oscar. Thought the place was abandoned. Just looking for shelter for the night bud. Nothing more. (4)
    3. The name’s Oscar. Thought the place was abandoned. It’s getting cold and I figured this'd be as good a place as any to winter. (4)
    4. The name’s Oscar. Thought the place was abandoned. Was hoping to bunk down here but I think a more important question is why're you hiding in the pantry? (5)
  4. Isaac: Not sure you’re gonna want to stay here, even for a night. Might be outta the cold but you won’t get any sleep. (6)
  5. Isaac: Cause it’s the best place to hide. Stuff a towel under the door and no light gets out. No one knows I’m here. That’ll prolly change with you stomping about. Now neither of us will get any sleep.(6)
  6. Oscar:
    1. Why wouldn’t I get any sleep? Unless you plan on bugging me I figure I’ll sleep just fine. Then I’ll be on my way and outta your hair. (7)
    2. Why don’t you want anyone to know you’re here? Who're you hiding from? (8)
    3. Ya know what bud? I don’t have time for this. I’m outta here. I’ll find somewhere else to bunk for the winter since this place is taken. (Dialogue Ends - Neutral)
  7. Isaac: Suit yourself mate. There’s a couple of bedrooms upstairs. Take your pick. Don’t come whining to me when you don’t get any sleep. If they see you, they won’t leave you alone. You've been warned. (9)
  8. Isaac:  You’ve watched this place long enough to think it's abandoned and you've no idea why I’m hiding in here? (9)
  9. Oscar:
    1. I've no bloody idea what you’re talking about bud. Why don’t you enlighten me? (11)
    2. You know what I think? I think you’ve been cooped up in here way too long. I think you’re seeing spooks in every shadow. I’ll be off to bed now. (10)
  10. Isaac: Right, 'night mate. No need to say good-bye when ya leave. Just try not to wreck the place on your way out. (Dialogue Ends - Negative)
  11. Isaac: I would, if I knew what they were. I never see anything. They just make a bloody lot of noise, throw things at the house, and steal anything left outside. First couple of nights I’d run out to see if I could talk to them. Get 'em to stop. It was no use, though. Just made 'em bolder. The last time I went out one of 'em pegged me in the head with a rock. Scared me so badly that I hid in here. Now, if I need something I sneak out during the day. They don't seem to come out in the daylight. (12)
  12. Oscar:
    1. Wow. You’ve got one hell of a case of cabin fever bud. It’s definitely making you paranoid and jumpy. My advice? Get out more. It'll do you good. Now, I’m off to bed, 'night. (10)
    2. Well, I only watched this place during the daytime. Prolly why I never noticed anything. How about I keep an ear open for these invisible beasties while I’m catching a few Z’s. Anything happens I’ll try to get to the root of it. No promises, though. (13)
  13. Isaac: Would you? That'd be awesome mate! If you could figure out what’s going on and get it to stop then it’d be awesome to have some company for the winter. (Quest Given) (Dialogue Ends - Positive)

1 comment:

  1. I love this Krystina! This would make a very interesting game! I kind of wish this was real, I would love to know the quest. I am very sure you got a good grade on this!

    ReplyDelete