Saturday, October 1, 2022

Short Story: Today Sucked

Here's a short story I wrote that consists of dialogue only. It was challenging in that actions had to be conveyed through dialogue or dialogue tags without the tags becoming repetitive. As always, constructive criticism is welcome. Story after the cut...

Today Sucked


“Why are you crying?” he asked curiously.


“Today sucked. It really, really sucked,” she replied.

“How in the world could today have sucked? It’s a holiday! Holidays don’t suck,” he said.

“They usually do if I’m the one trying to celebrate them. Holidays always seem to suck for me. I think it’s an unwritten Murphy’s Law,” she responded.

“So, all holidays are out to get you?” he giggled. “They all despise you and are determined to make you suffer? Don’t give me that look. You know how silly you sound.”

“I’m not being silly! It’s true. Every holiday I try to celebrate ends up sucking. Something always happens to screw things up. Today was no different. In fact, I think today was probably my worst holiday experience yet!”

“Now I see why you don’t like to watch melodrama. You experience enough of your own making already!” he laughed.

“You are such a shit! I’m being serious and you’re making fun of me,” she exclaimed. “If you’re not going to take me seriously, just go away. I’ve dealt with enough crap today.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize …”

“No. You didn’t. You never do. That’s part of the problem. You never pay attention and try to joke your way out of the mess when you do finally realize you’ve stepped in it,” she replied.

“What happened that made your day so rotten?” he asked.

“Oh, so now you’re interested,” she retorted. “Why can’t you be interested without me having to bitch at you first?”

“It’s not as fun that way,” he grinned.

“God, you’re such a dork!” she laughed.

“Yes, but I’m your dork,” he smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment